Thursday, October 6, 2011

A spontaneous visit to Park Burger

Last night, I happened to be driving on Broadway...and then realized I was only a few blocks from Park Burger.  It was 8:30pm, I was alone, I had a $50 bill, and I decided to indulge myself.  I later confessed to my wife.

I dropped into Park Burger on Pearl St. and asked if I could get a burger to go.  While they cooked it up (a PERFECT medium rare), I chatted with a manager and a nice couple sidled up to the bar (which isn't an actual bar, it's just some stools that overlook the griddle, which is awesome).

We got to talking about their buns (mistakenly, I thought they were brioche...but they are locally baked potato buns), their fries (cut fresh every day and perfectly cooked), their beef (Harris Ranch, never frozen), and their daily delivered produce.  Their proprietary special sauce is also spot on.  We also talked about consistency, and the fact that the manager mentioned he detests restaurants that serve item upon item without ever specializing in anything.  I love Park Burger.

Biggest surprise of the night was to find out that the beef comes pre-ground.  I thought for sure they grind their own beef, but they don't.  No matter.  It's such a good quality, I didn't care.

I've got a LONG way to go regarding beef.  This Park Burger guy was discussing proprietary blends of beef (his favorite is 60% chuck and 40% brisket), and the fact that they are getting one soon.  Beef blends are beyond me: short rib, brisket, chuck, etc.  In any event, I felt like my burger tasted matured last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eat well