Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wendy's

Okay, Okay.  I admit that it's a bit out of character for us to review a fast-food burger.  Generally, we are more into the local spots.  But I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Wendy's.  It started years ago when I'd go there with a buddy and we'd order triple cheeseburgers.  In the absence of In-n-Out in Denver, Wendy's has always satisfied the cheap, easy, fast-food style part of my burger cravings.  (Although I hesitate to put it in the same sentence as In-n-Out, which is VASTLY superior and in a different class altogether, I like Wendy's better than McDonalds and Burger King.)

Imagine my curiosity when Wendy's announced they were changing their recipe!  I had to give it a shot.  I ordered a Double.

In brief:

A) Better buns, but not terribly different
B) Way too little salt on the beef (I think they reduced the salt for some stupid reason)
C) Great produce - I immediately liked the thin red onion and the pickles were really good
D) Bigger patties (in fact, a double cheeseburger is now marketed at a 1/2 lb, which borders on too big)

All in all, Wendy's stuck close enough to the original that I'll still visit.  The saltless beef notwithstanding, I think the produce and bun improvements will earn overall positive marks from me.

Next time, I'll plan on salting the patties myself after receiving my burger.  As a final note of oddity: my buddy ordered a Double as well..and only got one slice of cheese on his.  They might need to work on their consistency (I got two slices), but then again, this is just a fast food joint.  Good for an indulgence here and there, but nothing like a local burger joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eat well